Voter Authority Certificates

From the 4th May 2023 you must present Photo ID when voting at a polling station for certain elections, not Scottish Parliament or Scottish Local Government Elections.

You can check which Photo ID will be accepted at a polling station by checking out the list on the Electoral Commission’s website.


If you don’t have an accepted form of Photo ID, then you can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority Certificate. You need to be registered to vote first before you can apply for a Voter Authority Certificate.

The easiest way is to apply online and you will need the following information.

  • Name
  • Address
  • Date of birth
  • National Insurance Number

If you don’t know there are a number of ways to find out your NINO if forgotten. You can check your payslip or on any official letters about tax, pensions or benefits. If you can’t find it or don’t have one, then you can still apply, you will need to provide other documents to prove your identity.

You will also need to provide a suitable photograph

Go to the Government Portal to apply.

If you are unable to go online to complete your application, you can apply via post.

You can request an application is sent out to you via our online request form or alternatively download a form below.