Voter ID

For certain elections you will be required to show a form of Photo ID to be able to cast your vote

In Scotland you will require ID at the following election types

  • UK Parliamentary Elections (from October 2023)
  • UK Parliamentary By-Elections
  • Recall Petitions

Voters in Scotland will not need to show photo ID at Scottish Parliament elections or at council elections.




  • What forms of ID are acceptable?

    There are many forms of ID that are acceptable, the most common forms of ID are

    • UK Passport
    • UK Driving License
    • Scottish National Entitlement Card (60+ or disabled person bus pass, or Young Scot Card)

    A full list is available on the Electoral Commissions Website.


  • What if I don't have any of these Forms of ID?

    If you don’t have an accepted form of Photo ID, you can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority Certificate, if

    • you don’t have an accepted form of photo ID
    • you are not sure whether your photo ID still looks like you
    • You are worried about using an existing form of ID for any other reason, such as the use of a gender marker

    You must be registered to vote before applying for a voter authority certificate.

    When applying for a Voter Authority Certificate, you will need to provide your

    • Name
    • Address
    • Date of Birth
    • National Insurance Number

    You should apply using the same name that you used to register to vote.

    You will not need to provide your gender, and your certificate will not have a gender marker.


  • What if my ID is out of date?

    You can still use your photo ID if it’s out of date, as long as it looks like you.

    The name on your ID should be the same you used to register to vote.