Council Tax Appeals

If you disagree with the Council Tax band in which your property has been placed, you can contact the Assessor to lodge an appeal.

Appeals must be in writing and a standard form is available. Time limits apply and are explained on the notice of addition to the Council Tax list or the notice of amendment. You may contact us in either of the following ways:

If no agreement can be reached with the Assessor, you can appeal to the Valuation Appeal Panel. There is a further right of appeal, on a point of law only, to the Court of Session.

There is no cost for lodging an appeal with the Assessor and the Appeal Panel cannot award costs. There are limited fees associated with appeals to the Court of Session and costs may be awarded in certain circumstances although this is unusual.

More details on the appeals process can be obtained from the Scottish Assessors Association website.